To mark the summer solstice, LeMay – America’s Car Museum (ACM) in Tacoma, Wash. offers 10 things to see and do during the relaxing days of summer at the new Pacific Northwest attraction.
1) Naturally, touring the new museum tops the list. Guests can walk through the museum’s 15 galleries, including the Showcase Gallery on the fourth level, where the Cars of Harold LeMay are on display. The exhibit features selections from LeMay’s record-setting car collection, which at one time included more than 3,000 vehicles, a Guinness world record.
2) Visit the ACM Classics Café by Pacific Grill for lunch or a snack. The café is located above the Gift Shop, offering a spectacular view of the museum’s Showcase Galleries and downtown Tacoma.
3) Music on the Field – LouieFest will be resurrected July 28-29 at America’s Car Museum, with some of the Puget Sound’s best musicians slated to perform on four stages at Haub Family Field. For tickets and more information, visit www.louiefest.com
4) Go Racing – Go head-to-head against other "racers" on a variety of tracks in the ACM Racing Simulators or at ACM's Slot Car track. The simulators and slot cars are located adjacent to the motorsports exhibits on the second level.
5) Wander through ACM’s special exhibits, assembled by the museum’s first guest curator, automotive expert Ken Gross. The special displays are British Invasion, Ferrari in America, Indianapolis 500 cars, Classic Car Era, Alternative Propulsion and the cars of Italian jewelry magnate Nicola Bulgari.
6) Win a Car! ACM, together with Titus-Will Ford, will raffle a 2013 Ford Mustang GT convertible Premium Edition. Tickets are $50 each, with proceeds benefitting the museum. The winner’s name will be drawn Sept. 9 during…
7) … the Kirkland Concours d’Elegance, at the Concours’ new home, Haub Family Field at ACM. The 10th anniversary of the Kirkland Concours on Sunday, Sept. 9 will feature many of the event’s popular traditions, including a display of unlimited hydroplane racers, and a showing of all the cars that have been selected Best in Show at previous Kirkland Concours.
8) Car Shows – Coffee Cruise-Ins, set for the second Saturday of the month, are free, informal car shows on Haub Family Field. Each Coffee Cruise-In runs from 9 a.m. to noon, with some of the area’s coolest cars on display.
9) Swing by the ACM Gift Shop and pick up a souvenir to commemorate your visit to North America’s newest and largest automotive museum.
10) Become a Member of America's Car Museum. Memberships are available at all levels, starting at $50 per year. Members of America’s Car Museum enjoy special member-only events, newsletters and more. For instance, visit Club Auto, located on the first level, where Club members have a place to relax, meet and socialize with like-minded enthusiasts. Club Auto members get to participate in a number of museum-sanctioned activities at the club and on the road.
About America’s Car Museum (www.lemaymuseum.org)
State Farm Presents LeMay – America’s Car Museum, which opened June 2, 2012 in downtown Tacoma, Wash., explores how the automobile has fulfilled a distinctive role at the core of the American experience and shaped our society. The spacious Museum with rotating exhibits is designed to be the centerpiece for automotive history as well as an educational center and library. The campus, located adjacent to the Tacoma Dome, also contains a 3.5-acre show field, theatre, café, banquet hall and meeting facilities. To get information on museum hours, becoming an ACM member, volunteer opportunities or to make a donation, visit www.lemaymuseum.org.
# # #